The following MPC Audit Report and documents have now been uploaded:
September Marton was treated to an amazing performance in the War Memorial Hall by the fantastic singer Susan Valliant Speers, and her band, who presented an evening in celebration of “The Legendary Ladies of Jazz”, namely Bessie Smith, Billie Holliday, Sophie Tucker, Nina Simone, Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald. Susan is a renowned American singer, now resident in the UK, who has performed for two American presidents during her long career as a singer.
Her band members are no less accomplished and were all called Alan apart from one! Of particular note was Alan Wakeman, cousin to Rick Wakeman, who played sax and clarinet and who has performed with Soft Machine, Graham Collier and John Dankworth to
ame but a few.
How lucky we were to be able to see such top class performers here in Marton. The reception was rapturous and the atmosphere in the hall was enhanced by the cabaret-style arrangement. Let’s hope this can be repeated in the future. For further information see susanvalliantspeer.co.uk and alanwakeman.com.
Click link below to download/view the October 2015 Newsletter.
NB All Minutes are consider in draft form until approved as an accurate record at the following meeting
MARTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of Marton Parish Council Meeting held on the 8th September 2015 at 7:30pm at the Marton Village Hall.
Click link below to download/view the September 2015 Newsletter.
Thanks to some hard work from volunteers from the village and the Coventry Godiva Angling Club over a couple of days in May and June, much of the River Leam in the village has been cleared of blockages created by collapsing willows. The ‘crack willow’ is so named because of its brittle nature and it propagates by the branches splitting from the trunk and developing a new set of roots when it hits the river—hence the difficulty of dragging these sections from the river bed.
Co-ordination by Miranda and Ulli greatly eased the process. There was some brave work done by those who immersed themselves in the river as well as those who operated the chain saws. The rest of us just dragged and chopped!
Many thanks also to the land owners for their co-operation and support.
Another day’s work to the west of the bridge and the whole of the river up to the confluence with the Itchen will have been cleared
Perhaps it is overstating the case to imply that by clearing the river of fallen trees that Marton will no longer experience flooding, but the impact of the work on the flow of the river means that the watercourse is now working much more efficiently. Certainly the river’s capacity to dispose of floodwater has been enhanced.
Marton Museum will once again be participating in the Heritage Open Days event which falls this year on the weekend of 12th and 13th September. This has been an enormously successfull event for us in previous years, attracting a huge number of visitors from across the county and further afield. We will be open on the Saturday and Sunday from 10.30am to 5.00pm and admission will be free. Refreshments will be served in the Cricket Pavilion. There will also be some vintage tractors on site and interactive exhibits suitable for the whole family. Disabled access is available. The Museum contains a unique and extremely interesting collection of a large number of exhibits dating from the 17th century onwards and covering domestic life, agriculture, crafts and handicrafts all collected locally by one man, George Tims, throughout his lifetime. Following his death the collection was passed into the care of Marton village. The Museum can be found in Louisa Ward Close, Marton CV23 9SA. For more information contact museummarton<at>gmail.com
If that weekend is not convenient for you don’t forget that the Museum is currently open every Sunday afternoon from 2.00pm to 4.00pm until the 13th September. Admission is free but donations are welcome. We’d love to see you!
Marton Museum of Country Bygones is now open for the summer, every Sunday afternoon until 13 September from 2.00pm until 4.00pm. Admission is free but all donations gratefully received. We look forward to seeing you there. We would also like to see you at Birdingbury Show on 11 & 12 July where we will have a stall inside the marquee, so no problem if it’s raining!
This month’s meeting consisted of a guided walk around Warwick, ably led, as usual, by Mike Johnson (pictured on the right of the group photo). There are no more Group meetings until the new season starts at the end of October.
Mike devised the route for the group walk around some of the highlights of Warwick’s old centre, and there are many leaflets available from the tourist office which provide plenty of information about Warwick’s walk opportunities and the historical background of what you will see en route. This article adds some of Mike’s insights to these existing publications.
At the corner of Castle Street and Castle Lane is a section of cobbled road leading into what is now the castle grounds wall. Many centuries ago this was part of the main road into town when the old bridge was in use; the old bridge crossed the river near the western end of Mill Street and the road continued straight through to Castle Street from there. The grounds of the castle were extended eastwards after the new bridge was built in 1785, to butt up against Castle Hill.
The Great Fire of 1694, which started in High Street and spread up Market Street and Castle Street, caused great damage to St Mary’s church. Following the fire new construction rules were brought in about the design of houses and the minimum width of roads. Half-timbered and jetted houses were no longer allowed and houses could be no more than two stories high – although an exemption seems to have been given at what was then the main central cross-roads where High Street and Castle Street meet as three story buildings surround this point.
The old town wall can be seen from Puckering’s Lane, as it heads North West from West Gate and then around the back of Lord Leycester Hospital.
Today The Holloway is a dead-end street but historically it ran all the way to Saltisford having been cut into the rock along this route. At one time this old road passed under an iron bridge (built 1804) which connected market Place to Theatre Street.
On the corner of Barrack Street and Northgate Street is an old cell door which belonged to the prison on this site when it was badly damaged by the Great Fire. In a courtyard off Northgate Street in the old County Court buildings can be seen a grill which is in the roof of an octagonal dungeon below. This dungeon was built in 1680 and was in regular use until 1797.
This month the Group had its AGM followed by a talk by Biddy Allen (photo, left) on the old Marton Co-Op store. Biddy (and Roy) were the first people to move into what was once the “Old Co-op”. The talk was very well received and a summary is at this link.
There are no more Group meetings in the village hall until next October. However, the Group are having a walk around Historic Warwick led by Mike Johnson on Monday 18th May, meeting at St Nicholas car-park at 6:45 pm.